The problem is some people do not understand the difference between style and fashion. Style is knowing yourself, what works for you, what looks good on you, what makes you feel good, what is appropriate? Fashion, well, it changes on a whim. What was fashionable this year, may not be next year. (Think high-wasted pants.)
In 2010 I had posted 10 Commandments for Fashionistas.
1. Just because they make in your size, does not mean you should wear it.
2. There is a difference between tailored and tight. Recognize it.
3. Buy a full-length mirror and use it, daily.
4. Athletic shoes belong in the gym.
5. If you have not changed your hair style in the past 10 or 15 years, you hair is probably out of style.
6. If you hairstyle involves a Scrunchie, your hairstyle is probably out of style.
7. Bling shirt are out.
8. Nobody wants to see your bra straps.
9. The same goes for your thong.
10. A beautiful smile is your best accessory.
That blog post was intended to point out some basic styling rules, so you know what not to do. But what do you do? With that in mind I have decided to start a series of styling blogs, because it is one thing to point out what is wrong, but how do we replace it with what is right?
Your comments are always welcome.
Andy Warhol of Yves Saint Laurent
complex.com The 50 Best Artist Collaborations in Fashion